There are 2 Municipal Questions on the Ballot this year.
Question #1: Moving the date of Council Elections
- Local elections deserve attention
- Very little focus on local issues in November amid Presidential / Congressional races
- Traditionally nonpartisan races were in May and Partisan Races were in November to remove crossover influence
- While turnout can be higher in some November races, the votes for non-partisan (e.g. BOE races) do not increase proportionately as voters skip these important races.
Question #2: Community Choice Aggregation.
- This proposal allows for the purchase of Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) to offset energy use
- This does NOT change the energy content in our area
- This proposal typical enriches the lobbyists that create the programs, creating bad incentives to actually create clean energy in our area
- The PJM interchange (which handles our area) is the ONLY interchange without a majority of clean energy content
- The current and former chair of the Teaneck Environmental Commission expressed reservations about this plan.